Brief history of AusAID
AusAID started in 1974 and was originally known as the Australian Development Assistance Agency (
It brought together roles performed by different departments since the aid program to Papua New Guinea began in 1946.
ADAA became the Australian Development Assistance Bureau (
ADAB) and was made part of the Department of Foreign Affairs portfolio.
In 1987 the name was changed to the Australian International Development Assistance Bureau (
AIDAB), and in 1995 to AusAID, the Australian Agency for International Development.
In July 2010, AusAID was established as an executive agency within the Foreign Affairs and Trade portfolio.
Detailed information on AusAID's activities since 1996 may be found in the agency's
Last reviewed: 4 April, 2012